Kenyatta University is honored to receive a visit from the Director for the International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Prof. Fernando Quevedo. Prof Quevedo will be in Kenya on 4th and 5th April 2017 and will deliver a lecture on at KU on: “String Theory, Particle Physics and Cosmology”.
This will be during a 2 hour seminar that will take place on Tuesday 4th April, 2017 from 11:00 am at KU-BSSC room 014. Staff and students are invited to attend the seminar (colloquium) that will also bring to light how ICTP is fostering the growth and advanced of studies and research in physical and mathematical sciences, especially in support of excellence in developing countries in the following areas:-
• Energy cosmology and astrophysics
• Condensed matter
• Statistical physics
• Earth system physics (climate dynamics)
• Quantitative life science
• Energy and Sustainability
• Computing sciences
Other activities of ICTP include:
• Developing high-level scientific programs keeping in mind the needs of developing countries, and provide an international forum of scientific contact for scientists from all countries.
• Conducting research at the highest international standards and maintain a conducive environment of scientific inquiry for the entire ICTP community.
The International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world. It was founded 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam. It seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world.
Prof. Quevedo will be hosted by the School of Pure and Applied Sciences (SPAS). He will engage SPAS and the School of Engineering and Technology on possible collaborative projects with ICTP
View Prof Quevedo’s Sketch Bio at: https://www.ictp.it/about-ictp/directorate/about-the-director.aspx