Dr Njihia teaches courses in educational planning and policy at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has undergone training in Education Sector Planning by IIEP-UNESCO. He has also trained on integration of ICT in teaching and learning both locally and abroad. In 2015, he attended a five days training on ICT in teaching and learning at the National Institute of Education, Singapore. Between 2015 and 2017, he attended three training workshops on integration of ICT in teaching and learning held at Kenyatta University under the auspices of the Commonwealth of Learning, Canada and Schoolnet, South Africa. Dr Njihia acts as a trainer for members of faculty on integration of ICT in teaching and learning
- 2020 Obstacles to successful uptake of open distance and e-learning (ODeL) programmes: a case of Kenyatta university, Kenya Mukirae Njihia, Elizabeth Mwaniki,Antony Ireri, Fatuma Chege African Multidisciplinary Journal of Research (AMJR). Special Issue, January 2020. ISSN 2518-2986 (12 - 22)
- 2019 The Good Education & Africa’s Future: Concepts, Issues and Options (Eds) John K. Mugo, Proscovia Namubiru- Ssentamu & Mukirae Njihia Paulines Publications Africa
- 2018 Adequacy of Post Graduate Research Methodology Training: A case of the School of Education, Kenyatta University Mukirae Njihia & Hellen Kiende Commission for University Educationm ISBN 978-9966-009-24- 1, Vol 1
- 2015 Contributions of Complementary Elementary Education towards Transition of Nomadic Pupils from Non-Formal to Miiddle School Education in Habero Sub- Zone, Eritrea Tesfu Tekle, Mukirae Njihia, Nobert Ogeta, Micahel Habtu Journal od Education and Practice, ISSN 222- 1735, Vol 6, No 24, 2015
- 2014 The Use and Usefulness of School grants: Lessons from Kenya Mukirae Njihia & John Ndiritu IIEP-UNESCO
Dr Njihia has undertaken research in education in the following areas:
- 2020- Member of a research team on “Production and of university social science research and its utilization by policy makers” financed by the Kenyatta University Vice Chancellors’ Grant
- 2018- Effectiveness of Learner Support services at the Open University of Tanzania and Kenyatta University Kenya
- 2018- Internal Quality Assurance Systems at the Open University of Tanzania
- 2017- Uptake of Open and Distance Learning (ODL) at Kenyatta University
- 2017-Member of a research team on “Entrepreneurial University in Kenya: Growth and implications for innovation, employability, skills and development” financed by the Kenyatta University Vice Chancellors’ Grant
- 2011- Education financing and decentralization with a focus on secondary education bursary scheme.
- 2012- Lead researcher in the ‘Use and Usefulness of School Grants: Research in Eastern and Southern Africa’, an IIEP-UNESCO/UNICEF research programme in collaboration with Ministries of Education in five African Countries in 2011/2012.
- 2006- Lead researcher in the ‘Evaluation Practices in Adult Literacy Programmes in Kenya: A Situational Analysis’, a research project of the Department of Adult Education, Kenya & UNESCO.
Dr Njihia has presented papers in the following international conferences/Workshops:
- October 2019: Attended a 15 days workshop on “Policy and Practice: Teacher Professional Development” organized by Research Institute for International Comparative Education, Shanghai Normal University, in Shanghai, China
- May 2019: Attended a 3 days international seminar on “Enhancing training capacities in Educational Planning and Management” organized by IIEP-UNESCO in Paris, France
- May 2019: Presented two papers (An Assessment of the Internal Quality Assurance Mechanisms at the Open University of Tanzania & An Examination of Open Distance and E-learning Learner Support Systems: A Comparative Study of Kenyatta University and Open University of Tanzania) at the 9th Annual Forum of the East African Higher Education Quality Assurance Network held in Entebbe, Uganda
- May 2018 Presented two papers (Entrepreneurial University in Kenya: An Examination of Curriculum Drivers; Online Continuous Assessment Tests: Experiences and lessons from Kenyatta University) at the 8th Annual Forum of the East African Higher Education Quality Assurance Network held in Kigali, Rwanda
- May 2017 Presented a paper on “Obstacles to Successful Uptake of Open and Distance Learning (ODL) Programmes: A case of Kenyatta University” at the 7th Annual Forum of the East African Higher Education Quality Assurance Network held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- November 2016 Presented a paper on “Uptake of Open and Distance Learning (ODL) Programmes: A Case of Kenyatta University”, Kenya at the 8th Pan-Commonwealth Forum (PCF8) Conference held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- March 2016 Presented a paper on “School grants: A powerful policy to contribute to greater access to education for all? Lessons from research in Eastern and Southern Africa” at the Comparative International Education Society (CIES) Annual Conference held in Vancouver, Canada
- May 2015 Presented a paper on “Effectiveness of the Constituency Bursary Committees in promoting access and participation in secondary education in Kenya” during the ‘Re- Engineering Education for Sustainable Development’ conference held at Kenyatta University