Dr. Dorcus Mbithe David Kigaru
Position: Senior Lecturer, Nutritionist & Researcher ,Chairperson, Department of Foods, Nutrition & Dietetics
Department: Department of Food, Nutrition & Dietetics, Kenyatta University
Contact Address: PO BOX 43844-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Research and Publications
1.Articles/Papers in refereed Journals
- Jacqueline Macharia, Dorcus Mbithe, Harun Kimani& Peter chege (2019) Feeding Practices and Nutrition Status among Children Aged 6-23 Months after Discharge from Supplementary Feeding Program in Isiolo County, Kenya. Food Sci Nutr Res. 2019; 2(2): 1-6.
- El Hamdouchi, T. Adom, A. Aouidet, V.D. Agueh, A. Diouf, N.I. Joonus, G.H. Leyna, K.Dorcus Mbithe, T. Moleah, M.A. Monyeki, D. Nakimbugwe, H.L. Nashandi, A.F. Simpara, S.M.A. Somda, J.J. Reilly and C. Loech (2019) Protocol for validating simple measures of body fatness and physical activity of children in twelve African countries: The ROUND-IT Africa Study. African Journal for Physical Activity and Health Sciences (AJPHES) Volume 25(2), June 2019, pp. 142-173.
- Silas Tumpeine, Dorcus Mbithe Kigaru and Peter Chege (2019) Dietary Practices Among Adults Living with HIV and AIDS Attending Clinics at Narok County Referral Hospital, Kenya. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR) (2019) Volume 46, No 2
- Adama Diouf, Theodosia Adom, Abdel Aouidet, Asmaa El Hamdouchi, Noorjehan I Joonas, Cornelia U Loechl, Germana H Leyna, Dorcus Mbithe, Thabisile Moleah, Andries Monyeki, Hilde Liisa Nashandi, Serge MA Somda & John J Reilly (2018) Body mass index vs deuterium dilution method for establishing childhood obesity prevalence, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Senegal, Tunisia and United Republic of Tanzania. World Health Organization(WHO) Bulletin. Bull World Health Organ 2018;96:772–781 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.17.205948
- Faith K Munoru, Elizabeth N Kuria and Dorcus Mbithe K. (2018). Dietary and care practices and nutritional status of the elderly in Meru County, Kenya. International Journal of Medical and Health Research. Volume 4; Issue 6; June 2018; Page No. 01-06
- Kavithe K. Rachel, Dorcus Mbithe D. Kigaru and Maoga W. Nyamota. (2018). Dietary intake and factors affecting food service of male prisoners living with human immunodeficiency virus at selected prisons in Kenya. International Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism Vol 10  (2018): 6-15. DOI: 10.5897/IJNAM2017.0229.
- Magali Leyvraz, Dorcus M. David-Kigaru, Catherine Macharia-Mutie, Grant J. Aaron, Marlene Roefs and Alison Tumilowicz (2017) Coverage and Consumption of Micronutrient Powders, Fortified Staples, and Iodized Salt Among Children Aged 6 to 23 Months in Selected Neighborhoods of Nairobi County, Kenya. Food and Nutrition Bulletin. 1-9. DOI: 10.1177/0379572117737678. journals.sagepub.com/home/fnb
- Khasoa Carolyne Wasike, Erick V. O. Fwaya and Dorcus Mbithe D. Kigaru (2017) Factors influencing customer needs for healthy eating products in selected restaurants of Nairobi City, Kenya. International Journal of Scientific Progress and Research (IJSPR) ISSN: 2349-4689 Issue 104, Volume 36, Number 02, 2017
- Mary M Milelu, Dorcus Mbithe D Kigaru, Elizabeth N Kuria (2017) Demographic and socio-economic determinants of availability and access dimensions of household food security in Kitui County, Kenya. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition. Volume 2; Issue 5; September 2017; Page No. 93-101
- Dorcus Mbithe D Kigaru, Mary M Milelu (2017) Dietary diversity, water and sanitation practices and nutritional status of children aged 6-59 months in Kitui County, Kenya. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition. Volume 2; Issue 5; September 2017; Page No. 113-120
- Mary N. Makau, Sophie Ochola and Dorcus Mbithe (2017) Feeding Practices of Children Aged 0-59 Months Accompanying Incarcerated Mothers in Selected Women’S Prisons in Kenya. The Open Nutrition Journal. 2017, 11, 3-12.
- Isaac Nthiga, Dorcus Mbithe,Beatrice Mugendi, Tabitha Wambui (2017).The nutritional status of pulmonary tuberculosis patients aged 25-44 years attending tuberculosis clinic at Lodwar County and Referral Hospital, Turkana County, Kenya.International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition.Volume 2; Issue 1; January 2017; Page No. 119-122
- Isaac Nthiga, Dorcus Mbithe,Beatrice Mugendi, Daudi Nyangaresi,Tabitha Wambui (2017).Dietary practices of pulmonary tuberculosis patients attending clinic at lodwar county and referral hospital, Turkana County, Kenya. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition. Volume 2; Issue 1; January 2017; Page No. 123-127
- Lucy Maina, Dorcus Mbithe D. Kigaru, Anne Korir-Rugutt and Okello Agina (2016). Determinants of Screening Patterns for Invasive Cervical Cancer among Patients Attending Kenyatta National Hospital, Kenya. Research journali’s Journal of Public Health Vol. 2 | No. 11 November|2016
- W. Bor, W. Too, D. Mbithe, B. Mugendi, E. N. Mutemi, R. Musyoki And W. C. Bor (August 2016): Nutritional Status Of Adult Male On Art At Kericho District Hospital, Kericho County, Kenya.East African Medical Journal Vol. 93 No. 8
- W. Bor, Dorcus Mbithe and B. Mugendi. (2015). Lipidemia status among HIV positive adult male on HAART attending the HIV clinic at Kericho District Hospital, Kericho. East African Medical Journal Vol. 92 No. 12 December 2015
- Dorcus Mbithe D. Kigaru, Cornelia Loechl, Thabisile Moleah, C. W. Macharia-Mutie, Zipporah W. Ndungu. (2015).Nutrition knowledge, attitude and practices among urban primary school children in Nairobi City, Kenya: a KAP study.BMC Nutrition. Kigaru et al. BMC Nutrition (2015) 1:44. DOI 10.1186/s40795-015-0040-8
- Gladys Njura Gitau, Judith O Kimiywe, Judith N Waudo and Dorcus Mbithe. (2015). Primary school pupils in Kenya learn and practice good hygiene. Journal of Child & Adolescent Behavior.http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2375-4494.1000267
- Dennis J Matanda, Maurice BM and Dorcus Mbithe D Kigaru. (2014) Breast-, complementary and bottle-feeding practices in Kenya: stagnant trends were experienced from 1998 to 2009. Nutrition Research (2014) 507–517.Available online at www.sciencedirect .com
- Dennis J Matanda, Maurice B M and Dorcus Mbithe D Kigaru. (2014). Child undernutrition in Kenya: trend analyses from 1993 to 2008–09. BMC Pediatrics 2014, 14:5. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2431/14/5
- Gladys Njura Gitau, Judith O. Kimiywe, Judith N. Waudo and Dorcus Mbithe. (2013) Effects of nutrition education on nutrition knowledge and iron status in primary school pupils of Gatanga District, Muranga Country, Kenya. Current Research in Nutrition and Food Science. Vol. 1(2), 115-123 (2013) http://dx.doi.org/10.12944/CRNFSJ.1.2.02
- Nelia P Steyn, Nel J., W Parker, Ayah R., Dorcus Mbithe (2012). Urbanisation and the nutrition transition: A comparison of diet and weight status of South African and Kenyan women. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 2012; 0: 1–10
- Mbithe Dorcus David, Judith Kimiywe and Judith Waudo. (2012). Nutritional knowledge, attitude and practices and nutritional status of school-going children in Machakos District, Kenya. Nutrition and Food Sciences IACSIT Press. Singapore. 2012. Volume 39: 147-152
- Nelia P Steyn, Whadi-ah Parker, Johanna H Nel, Ayah Rosemary, Dorcus Mbithe. (2012). The nutrition transition and adequacy of the diet of pregnant women in Kenya. Nutrition and Food Sciences IACSIT Press. Singapore.2012.Volume 39.137-141.
- Nelia P. Steyn, Johanna H. Nel, Whadi-Ah Parker, Rosemary Ayah & Dorcus Mbithe. (2011). Dietary, social, and environmental determinants of obesity in Kenyan women. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 2011; 39: 88–97
- Were GM, Ohiokpehai O, Okeyo-Owuor JB, Mbagaya GM, Kimiywe J, Mbithe D and M Okello. (2010). Soybean (Glycine Max) complementation and the zinc status of HIV and AIDS affected children in Suba District, Kenya. AJFAND, African Journal of Food, Agriculture Nutrition Development. Volume 10. No. 3 ISSN: 16845374
- Omo Ohiokpehai, Dorcus Mbithe David and Joyce Kamau. (2009). Serum zinc levels of school children affected by HIV/AIDS on a corn soy blend feeding trial in primary schools in Suba District, Kenya. Journal of Applied Biosciences Volume 17. 904-912
- Brenda King'olla, Omo Ohiokpehai and Dorcus Mbithe David. (2009) The impact of a nutrition and health programme on the socio-economic status and food access of households in Suba district, Kenya. Journal of Applied Biosciences. 21.1226-1236.
- Omo Ohiokpehai, Dorcus Mbithe David and Joyce Kamau. (2009). The effects of soybean (Glycine max) and pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) food mixtures on the nutritional status of school children in Suba District, Kenya. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment – JFAE. Volume 7 (2) 59-63.
- Gertrude M. Were, Omo Ohiokpehai, Grace M., J.B.Okeyo-Owuor, Joyce Kamau, Dorcus Mbithe, Judith Kimiywe. (2008). Nutritional status and morbidity among HIV/AIDS affected children aged 6-9 years in Suba District, Kenya. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment – JFAE. Volume 6 (2) 68-73.
- Dorcus Mbithe D, Judith Kimiywe, Judith Waudo and John A. Orodho. (2008). Promotion of nutrition education interventions in rural and urban primary schools in Machakos District, Kenya. Journal of Applied Biosciences. 128 Volume 6 130-139
- Joyce Kamau, Omo Ohiokpehai, Judith Kimiywe, Lawrence Oteba, Dorcus Mbithe D, Gertrude Were & Brenda King’olla. (2008). Effects of soybean (Glycine Max) supplementation on nutritional status of school children aged 6-9 years from HIV affected households in Suba District, Kenya. Journal of Applied Biosciences. Volume 4. 94-102
- Judith Kimiywe, Judith waudo, Dorcus Mbithe D., and Patrick Maundu. (2007). Utilization and medicinal value of indigenous leafy vegetables consumed in urban and peri-urban Nairobi. AJFAND, African Journal of Food, Agriculture Nutrition Development. Volume 7 No. 4. ISSN 1684-5374
- Omo Ohiokpehai, Judith Kimiywe J. Chianu Dorcus Mbithe D, and N Sanginga. ((2007). Socioeconomic and demographic profiles of households with children aged 6-59 months, Mbita Division, Suba District Kenya. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment – JFAE. Volume 5. (2) 45-49.
- Module:Nutrition Education. Institute of Open and Distance e-Learning (ODeL). Kenyatta University. Kenya.
- Module: Nutrition Counselling (for BSC Undergraduate). Institute of Open and Distance e-Learning (ODeL). Kenyatta University. Kenya.
- Module: Nutrition and HIV/AIDS. Institute of Open and Distance e-Learning (ODeL). Kenyatta University. Kenya.
- Module: Introduction to Therapeutic Nutrition
- Module: Food Security (for Post graduate Diploma in Nutrition. Institute of Open and Distance e-Learning (ODeL). Kenyatta University. Kenya.