Department of Medical Surgical Nursing and Pre-clinical Services
The department was established in 2016 when the new school of nursing was formed after the approval by the senate. The department coordinates the training of nurses in medical surgical nursing, nursing leadership and management, nursing education and pre-clinical sciences. It is headed by a chairman and has one section head for preclinical sciences
The Department of Medical Surgical Nursing and Pre-clinical sciences aspires to develop professional nurses who emulate a culture of evidence based nursing practice, transformative nursing leadership, research and community service.The department will be recognized for training empowered nursing professionals who lead the dynamic healthcare delivery system nationally, regionally and globally.
The Department of Medical Surgical and Pre- clinical Sciences is strongly committed to excellence in classroom and clinical teaching and in preparing nursing graduates to lead and transform nursing care in a rapidly changing, diverse and complex healthcare environment. The committed team of faculty and other staff will endeavor to achieve this through academic excellence,innovative nursing research, evidence based clinical practice, and community service
- Nursing Excellence
- Distinction in Teaching
- Respect for human rights.
- Fairness and equality in service
- Self- determination
- To train nursing graduates who have a scientific base in clinical science.
- To inculcate in the students the right knowledge, skills and attitude in nursing through classroom and clinical teaching.
- To equip the students with nursing leadership, management and Research skills.
- Spearhead the development of transformative nursing leaders
- Participate in research that transforms nursing and health systems
Courses & Units
COURSE HNS 125 : PHYSIOLOGY OF THE CELL AND THE NERVOUS SYSTEM
- HNS: Physiology of the cells and excitable tissues
- HNS 127 : Physiology of the nervous system.
COURSE HNS 135 : BIOCHEMISTRY
- HNS 136 : Fundamentals of Biochemistry
- HNS 137 : Metabolism of biomolecules
COURSE HNS 140 : FUNDAMENTAL OF NURSING
- HNS 141 : Introduction to Nursing practice
- HNS 142 : Theoretical concepts of nursing practice
HNS 146 : BIOCHEMISTRY OF SPECIALIZED TISSUES
COURSE HNS 150 : NURSING PRACTICE
- HNS 151 : Basic Nursing skills
- HNS 152 : Basic Nursing care & Documentation
COURSE HNS 155 : PHYSIOLOGICAL OF THE RESPIRATORY, RENAL AND CIRCULATORY SYSTEMS.
- HNS 156 : Physiology of the respiratory and renal systems
- HNS 157 : Physiology of circulatory system.
COURSE HNS 160 : PHYSIOLOGY OF GASTROINTESTINAL, REPRODUCTIVE AND ENDOCRINE SYSTEMS
- HNS 161 : Physiology of the gastrointestinal system.
- HNS 162 : Physiology of the reproductive and endocrine system
COURSE HNS 170 : HEALTH ASSESSMENT
- HNS 172 : Health Assessment Skills
- HNS 173 : Health Assessment Practicals
COURSE HNS 235 : MEDICAL SURGICAL NURSING I
- HNS 236 :Introduction to Medical Nursing and conditions of the respiratory system
- HNS 237 :Cardiovascular and Hematological conditions.
- HNS 238 :Gastrointestinal and endocrine conditions
HNS 256 : CLINICAL CHEMISTRY
HNS 257 : PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY
COURSE HNS 240 : CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY AND THERAPEUTICS
- HNS 241 : Fundamentals of clinical pharmacology
- HNS 242 : Chemotherapeutic agents
COURSE HNS 260 : GENERAL PATHOLOGY AND HAEMATOLOGY
- HNS 261 : General pathology
- HNS 262 : Hematology
COURSE HNS 265 : PHARMACOLOGY OF DRUGS AFFECTING VARIOUS BODY SYSTEMS
- HNS 266 : Drugs acting on the cardiovascular and central nervous system.
- HNS 267 : Drugs acting on respiratory and gastrointestinal systems and special topics.
COURSE HNS 275 : MEDICAL SURGICAL NURSING 11
- HNS: ENT and Ophthalmology nursing
- HNS 277 : Genitourinary and dematological conditions.
- HNS 278 : Neurological and musculoskeletal conditions
COURSE HNS 330 : PEDIATRIC NURSING
- HNS 331 : Fundamentals of pediatric Nursing
- HNS 232 : Management of childhood conditions
HNS 341 : EDUCATION PSYCHOLOGY FOR NURSES
COURSE HNS 350 : RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- HNS 351 : Research Methods
- HNS 352 : Research process.
COURSE HNS 355 : NURSING LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- HNS 356 : Introduction to Nursing Management
- HNS 357 : Management and leadership principles
COURSE HNS 420 : SPECIALIZED NURSING
- HNS 421 : Theatre Nursing
- HNS 422 : Critical Care Unit
- HNS 423 : Trauma and emergency
COURSE HNS 425 : HEALTH SERVICES MANAGEMENT
- HNS 426 : Health systems Management
- HNS 427 : Communication and interpersonal relations in Nursing
COURSE HNS 430 : EDUCATIONAL, COMMUNICATION AND CURRICULUM CONCEPTS IN NURSING
- HNS 431 : Curriculum and instruction in Nursing
HNS 432 : Education, Communication and technology for
- Dr. Grace Githemo - Nursing leadership and Management
- Ms. Grace Gachuiri - Nursing Education
- Mr. John Alumasa - Critical Care Nursing
- Mr. Pius Gitonga - Nursing Education
- Ms. Jerusha Mukonene - Medical Surgical Nursing
- Talaso Dulacha Barako - Nursing Education
- Sarah Tai Bett- Paediatric Nursing
- Mr. Paul Wambugu Ndung’u
PART-TIME LECTURERS FROM OTHER DEPARTMENTS
Dr. James Ogutu - Microbiology
Dr. Judith Munga - Nutrition
Dr. Gladys Moraa - Sociology and Anthropology
Dr. Nzioka - Pathology
Dr. Bisht - Physiology
- Mrs. Calperina Murage - Students Clinical Instructor
- Ms. Caroline Kilonzo - Laboratory Technologist
- Mr. Hamisi Mwaleso - Laboratory Technologist